The Texas Hazlewood Act for Veterans

Veterans of World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam, and the Cold War who have no remaining federal educational benefits are eligible for Hazlewood Act benefits if they were residents of Texas at the time they entered the armed forces, are now residents, and have an honorable discharge from the service.

To qualify for benefits under the Hazlewood Act, the veteran must file a request with the office of Financial Aid  at Wharton County Junior College. Items to be filed are a certified or photo static copy of discharge papers and an affidavit from the Veterans Administration certifying that the veteran is no longer eligible for VA benefits.

Students eligible for this benefit should contact the Director of Financial Aid (979) 532-6345 prior to enrolling for classes.

Hazelwood FAQ's and Application

Veterans' Benefits

Wharton County Junior College (WCJC) is approved by the Texas Veterans Commission for VA educational benefits for veterans and children and spouses of veterans (Chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606, 1607 Title 38, U.S. Code).

Effective August 2009, the enactment of a new educational assistance program, the Post 911 GI Bill also known as Chapter 33, will be offered at WCJC.  Chapter 33 was created for veterans and service members who served at least 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and dependents of certain service members.  The program allows for three separate benefit payments for most students: 1) a tuition and fees payment, which covers a percentage of tuition costs up to the highest in-state undergraduate tuition rate at a public university in the state which the student is enrolled; 2) a monthly housing allowance equal to the Department of Defense Basic Allowance for Housing provided to service members at the E-5 pay grade with dependents within the same zip code as the student's school (WCJ C's zip code is 77488), and 3) a book and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year.  Tuition and fee payments will be sent directly to Wharton County Junior College.   Additional information and comparison of benefits can be found at the VA website .

New Students

Students who have never received GI Bill benefits should complete the VONAPP/VA Form 22-1990 for Veterans using chapter 33,30, 1606, or 1607; for dependents of 100% disabled Veterans, VONAPP/VA Form 22-5490.  The Department of Veteran Affairs strongly encourages you to use the electronic application (VONAPP) to establish your eligibility.  The electronic application may be completed at the Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits Information   web page .

Once you have completed the VONAPP, submit it and print out two copies of the submitted VONAPP.   You will need to send the following forms to the Certifying Official in the Financial Aid office:

One copy of the VONAPPA, a copy of your Student Schedule/Bill that can be obtained from the Business Office, DD214 (for the Veteran) , Copy of your military transcript (AARTS, SMARTS, CCAF) and the Certificate of Eligibility for Chapter 33 benefits once you receive it from the VA

If you have used your benefit in the past and are transferring to or returning to WCJC,  you need only submit the VA Form 22-1995 (Veterans) or VA form 22-5495 (dependents of 100% disabled veterans) to the WCJC Certifying Official in place of item #1 above.

Continuing Students

Continuing students will only need to submit a Student Schedule/Bill from the WCJC Business Office each semester that they are continually enrolled unless they have changed their degree plan with the VA.  If you have changed your degree plan with the VA you will need to submit a copy of the VONAPP with the change in degree plan to the Certifying Official at WCJC.

Students who are veterans may receive assistance from the Financial Aid Office in applying for benefits. To expedite payment of benefits, veterans should contact the Financial Aid Office at least 30 days prior to the first class day of each term to complete all necessary paper work for that period of study.

Selection of Courses: Veterans receive monthly payments for their entitlement based on the course work for which they enroll. Caution should be given to the selection of courses, making certain that each course undertaken meets the requirements for payment. The following are requirements for courses to be eligible for payment:

Each course must be a requirement for graduation in a degree program at WCJC.No course may be taken for audit.No course may be a repeat of a course for which credit has already been received (A, B, C, & D are passing grades).Each course must be completed and assigned a grade that is used to compute GPA and progress toward degree.

Withdrawals without mitigating circumstances that result in no credit being awarded or no punitive grade being assigned, results in benefits being terminated from the beginning date of the semester, thus creating an over-award and possible repayment to the Veterans Administration.

Academic Requirements: To remain in good standing (not on probation); a student must earn a 2.0 GPA each semester. To insure satisfactory progress, transcripts of veterans are monitored at the end of each semester. Should a veteran complete a semester with a GPA below 2.0, he or she is issued a warning notice. The notice states that the veteran is not maintaining satisfactory progress and may find it impossible to earn the required 2.0 GPA for graduation. Students who receive this notice are encouraged to re-examine their educational objectives, course load, etc., to improve their academic record. If a veteran should fail to earn a 2.0 GPA in the following semester, certification is terminated until the veteran raises his or her cumulative GPA to 2.0 or the Veterans Administration Regional Office authorizes recertification.


Last Updated