A broad range of learning resources that support the professional development for faculty and staff is now available at the library. An updated edition of Library Professional Development Collection Monthly Newsletter, which informs faculty/staff members of new additions to the professional development collection, is regularly released to the campus community via the college group email. Please contact the library if there are any materials that the library needs to provide that is not covered in the information as given below.
Books, eBooks and Videos/DVDs
- Books and Videos/DVDs/AudioCDs can be checked out to faculty/staff for 30 days (one
renewal allowed). The collection will continue to expand to assist the program.
- To locate the materials in the professional development collection, please search the WCJC library online catalog and type in "professional development" or click Professional Development for the recent additions to the library collection.
Programs and Webinars
- NISOD (National Institute for Staff & Organizational Development) https://www.nisod.org/
NISOD provides professional development programs and resources for community college faculty, staff, and administrators. WCJC faculty and staff are members of NISOD. For an unlimited access to NISOD live events and recording sessions, please call 979-532-6953, 979-532-6356 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for member’s login ID and institution password.
- PBS TeacherLine http://www.pbs.org/teacherline/
The site links to a new professional development program for online educators.
- STARLINK (The State of Texas Academic Resource Link) https://starlinktraining.org/
As an agency of the Texas Association of Community Colleges, STARLINK provides professional development streaming videos through the website. WCJC faculty/staff can use college email address to register at www.starlinktraining.org and watch these streaming videos under the "Members Only" section. Please call the library at 979-532-6953 or 6356 for further assistance.
The WCJC library holds current STARLINK programs VHS tapes and DVDs, please click New Titles List. To review 44 archive tapes (1990 to 2000), please click HERE for the holding lists.
- Texas Distance Learning Association http://www.txdla.org/
TxDLA is a non-profit association formed to promote the development and application of all forms of distance learning and to implement effective distance learning strategies for Texans and other distance learning practitioners of the global community.
- THECB-Online Professional Development Modules http://www.TXprofdev.org/
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) has supported the creation of four online professional development modules that are now available free of charge 24/7 for full-time and adjunct faculty members to access. The four online modules include critical thinking, foreign language teaching methods, reading comprehension and faculty development modules for online teaching.
- The current issues of "New Directions for Community Colleges", "New Directions for Student Services" and "New Directions for Teaching and Learning" are available through the database of Professional Development Collection(EBSCO) from library proxy server athttp://libproxy.wcjc.cc.tx.us/login Print copies of these journals also can be checked out to faculty/staff.
- To read online journals of “Academic Leader” and “The Teaching Professor” through WCJC library group subscriptions, please:
Activate your group subscription access
- Go towww.magnapubs.com/site-license/registration.html?v=magna327
- Follow the three-step process by entering your information in each of the required
- In the Authorization Code box, enter the group Authorization CodeWHARTONGSand click Submit . Please note: entering the Authorization Code is done only once. (Please do not share the Authorization Code with anyone outside your institution.)
Access the group subscription
Go to http://www.magnapubs.com/profile. Enter your email address and password & click Log In. If you do not remember your account password, use "Forgot your password?" to reset it. On the My Account page, you will see all the content you (or your institution) subscribes to or has purchased for online viewing. To update your account settings & preferences, hover over My Account in the upper right corner & select the appropriate option.
Go to WCJC library website athttps://www.wcjc.edu/Students/Library/index.aspx, click on Library Databases. Select Professional Development Collection under the category of Education & Social Science.
The database of Professional Development Collection (EBSCO) includes full text for Chronicle of Higher Education, Educational Leadership, Journal of Education, Journal of Higher Education, Journal of Learning Disabilities, Theory Into Practice, and nearly 550 high quality education journals. This database also contains more than 200 educational reports.