The Air Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration and Electrical Technology program is
comprised of two level one certificates, and is open to both male and female applicants.
The Entry Level Residential Air Conditioning & Electrical certificate completes in
one semester and is offered each fall (August - December). The Apprentice Level Air Conditioning,
Heating, Refrigeration and Electrical certificate completes in two semesters and is
offered each spring/summer (January - August). Students may pursue either or both
certificates. With the completion of both, the graduate will have acquired the knowledge
and skills in the practical application of air conditioning, heating, refrigeration,
residential and commercial wiring. The program of study includes, but is not limited
to, methods of installing, maintaining, diagnosing and repairing equipment. Computer
simulation programs are used to improve diagnostic skills. Specific competencies
taught include: gas brazing and soldering, electrical circuits and motor analysis,
system troubleshooting, conduit bending, wire size estimating, and circuit installations.
To receive a certificate, an overall GPA of 2.0 must be maintained.
- Must apply and meet all admission requirements to Wharton County Junior College
- College Entrance Testing (TSI) is NOT required for entrance into the program
- Books (Please view Program Supplies - Textbook List)
- Students will be required to purchase a tool kit for use in the program.
(Please view Program Supplies - Tool List)
- Students will be required to wear a uniform shirt to all class meetings. (Information for purchasing will be provided to the student once classes begin)