Need Help Signing into Brightspace?
Contact the IT Helpdesk at 979-532-6568 or complete a HelpDesk Request Form.
Virtual Brightspace Orientations
Come learn how to navigate your online courses in WCJC's new learning environment, D2L Brightspace. We will also cover how to find our most requested student resources and get answers to your questions.
Tuesday, August 30, 2022, at 7:00 pm
Wednesday, August 31, 2022, at 7:00 pm
Link to Join
We are pleased to announce that Wharton County Junior College will be transitioning from Blackboard to a new Learning Management System (LMS), Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L). It offers greater flexibility to faculty and students, and is cloud-based, mobile-optimized, and designed for collaboration for a better learning experience. The campus will use Brightspace for all courses and organizations starting with the Fall 2022 semester. It has been found that it is much more than just an LMS. Brightspace combines all powerful tools and necessary support needed to offer a smooth teaching and learning experience for students and instructors.
- Brightspace is a mobile-friendly LMS that provides a modern way to learn, with no need to pinch-and-zoom or scroll to view content on mobile devices.
- Students in Brightspace can have notifications sent to their email or phone. They can customize which actions in Brightspace will trigger a notification, and where they want the notification sent.
- Brightspace is reliable and accessible with a unique overall learning experience.
- Brightspace is built from the ground up using an inclusive design with best practices for each and every learner. Operating on a reliable, and secure global cloud infrastructure, It has 99.9% uptime with no downtime or maintenance.
- Award-winning accessibility features make it easy for students to navigate tools using assistive technologies.
From Fall 2022 Onwards
- No courses are taught in Blackboard
- All courses and organizations will be conducted through D2L Brightspace.
- Access to courses in Blackboard will end on August 31, 2022.
Beginning Fall 2022, you will access Brightspace by logging into the WCJC Portal and clicking on the D2L Brightspace icon. The icon will not appear on the menu until August 15, 2022. At this time, you will be able to access the Student Resources course.
Brightspace is an award-winning platform. It is the only learning platform chosen as a partner of the National Federation of the Blind’s Nonvisual Accessibility Program. Brightspace was also named the Best Customer Experience in Ed Tech, Best Remote Learning Experience Partner, and Best Solution for Students with Special Needs at the SIIA CODiE Awards.