Nov. 17, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
EAGLE LAKE, TEXAS – Wharton County Junior College’s Adult Education & Literacy Program is resuming free High School Equivalency (HSE/GED) classes in Eagle Lake. Classes will resume at the Eula and David Wintermann Memorial Library in Eagle Lake beginning on Jan. 23, 2024. Classes will be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Interested students must attend an orientation and complete registration and testing prior to the first day of class. The orientation is scheduled from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Jan. 9, 2024, at the Eula and David Wintermann Memorial Library, 101 N. Walnut Ave. in Eagle Lake. Classes are open to anyone 19 years of age and older. Students ages 16 to 18 may qualify with additional requirements.
Requirements for orientation:
- A social security number (a social security card is not required)
- A valid, unexpired, government-issued identification card with name, date of birth and current address. Approved forms of identification include driver’s license, birth certificate, official record showing date of birth, passport, school records, work permit, or official documents issued by a local or foreign government agency (only one form of identification is required)
Students ages 16 to 18 must have a parent or guardian present to sign paperwork at orientation. Additional requirements include:
- 16 year old students – court order with docket/case number
- 17 year old students – court order or parent permission and high school student withdrawal form
- 18 year old students – high school student withdrawal form and parent permission
- For home-schooled students – 17 and 18 year old home-schooled students should sign required paperwork at orientation.
For questions and more information, please contact the main office at 979-532-6301 or registration office at 281-239-1586 or email: AELregister@wcjc.edu. Additional information can be found under the Programs tab on the college website: wcjc.edu.