Home Page > Admissions > Admissions and Registration > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


1. Enrolling at WCJC

 1.1 How do I apply?

Submit an Application for Admission Form. If you were a WCJC student in the past, but it has been more than a year since you were enrolled, you need to update your information by submitting a new application.

You may submit your application online at Applytexas.org. After clicking on Applytexas.org, follow these steps to get started:

  1. Click here to ENTER APPLYTEXAS

  2. ) If you do not already have an ApplyTexas account, please create one now

  3. ) fill out the information and click on “Save Profile”,

  4. ) continue to fill out the application according to the on-screen directions.

If you have not attended another college or university, request that your high school send us a transcript.

If you have attended another college or university, request a transcript be sent to us from each college or university attended.

Submit ACT, SAT or TSIA scores or proof of Texas Success Initiative (TSI) exemption.


A new state law now requires first time in college students, under the age of 22, to document that they either have received an bacterial meningitis vaccination or have declined to receive it.. To learn more go to Information About Bacterial Meningitis Immunization page


 1.2 Do I need an appointment to register for classes?

An appointment is not necessary.  You can register online at www.wcjc.edu or in person at the Wharton Campus, Sugar Land Campus, or  Richmond  Campus. However, appointments are required for campus tours

 1.3 When is the last day to register for classes?

You may register for classes  up to the day before classes start. A $25 final registration fee is charged to student beginning 5 days prior to the start of classes.

 1.4 Can I change my schedule? 

Yes, through the second class day during the fall and spring semesters and the first day of classes during the summer sessions.  Beginning the first day of classes a $15.00 schedule change fee is charged.

 1.5 Can a counselor and/or an advisor register me for classes?

When you visit a counselor and/or an academic advisor, they will assist you with online (web) registration but you need to learn how for future semesters

 1.6 What if I’m unable to register in person?

Once you have satisfied the admissions requirements, you can register for classes online at www.wcjc.edu.

  • Click the Online Services link on the college home page.
  • Click WCJC Student Online Services.
  • Click enter Secure Area in the menu that appears to begin the registration process.  Your logon ID is your social security number without dashes or spaces.  Your password is your birth date in the format MMDDYY.  After you have logged on, you can change your password.

 1.7 Do I need to take the SAT or ACT?

No, we require the TSI Assessment; however, you could be TSI-exempt with sufficiently high ACT or SAT scores. 

 1.8 Can I take classes during the same semester at any WCJC campus?

Yes, you may take classes in Sugar Land, Wharton, Richmond, and other locations during the same semester if you choose.

 1.9 How do I find out when the next TSI Assessment will be given?

Contact our Wharton Testing Center at 979-532-6386 or 6457, our Sugar Land Testing Center at 281-243-8434 or 8503, or our Fort Bend Tech Center at 281-239-1532, for testing dates.You may visit our testing page. Click on Admissions, then click on testing, and then click on testing schedule for the campus schedule of your choice.

 1.10 Do you have a new student orientation?

Yes, we offer an orientation for new students  in the online and face to face settings. Please go the orientation page for information or contact Student Services at 979-532-6388. 

 1.11 If I am a high school dual or concurrent student, do I have to send in another application after I graduate from high school?

Yes. Dual Credit/Early Admission students must reapply for admission if they continue past their high school graduation with WCJC. Students, in these situations, should simply update their Apply Texas account information and identify themselves as high school graduate and change any other information (address, etc.) as appropriate. We'll need an up-to-date transcript, too,

 1.12 Which students are considered “in-district” for tuition purposes?

An adult who is a Texas resident and has resided continuously within the WCJC Taxing District (Wharton County and Needville ISD) for six months prior to his original registration, or if a minor, one whose parent(s) or legal guardian meet this qualification.

 1.13 Do you have student housing?

Yes, on our Wharton campus. We have Brooking Hall and Mullins Hall for women and Frankie Hall for men. Go to the Housing page for more information

 1.14 What sports are offered at WCJC?

We have a women’s volleyball team and a men’s baseball team. In addition, we have a rodeo team for both men and women.

 1.15 How do I get a WCJC catalog?

Go to the Catalogs page on the WCJC Website. 

 return to the top


3. Business Office - Tuition & Fees

Installment Plans

 3.1 Can I pay my tuition and fees on an installment plan?

Yes, installment plans are available using the Online Services link www.wcjc.edu    on the college home page.   See How to do an installment plan on the Web.

 3.2 How often are payments due on the installment plan?

See Important Plan Information.

3.3 If I cannot come to the school to set up and installment plan, can my parent or someone else take care of it for me?

The student must complete the installment plan online using the Online Services link www.wcjc.edu on the college home page. Once completed, the student can set up authorized users to make payments for the plan.

 3.4 Can I pay my tuition and fees by credit card? 

Yes, you may pay with a MC, Visa, Discover, or American Express. You may pay online or at any campus business office. You can also pay by web check.


 3.5 What happens if I register, but do not pay for my classes?

You must drop those classes. Prior to the first class day you may drop classes online or in person at the Registrar’s Offices at any of the WCJC campuses. After classes begin, the online option is no longer available, so you must go in person to a WCJC campus. If you cannot come in person, print a Drop Form from our website, fill it out, and fax it to 979-532-6494. Unpaid bills are turned over to a collection agency. It is best to take care of these things before that happens.

Bookstore Credit

 3.6 Can I use my PELL grant to pay for books?

Yes. Bookstore credit is available at each campus bookstore for all scholarship and financial aid students, and will be deducted from your student account balance after tuition and fees are paid.

 3.7 How can I determine if I pay in-district tuition/fees or out-of-district tuition/fee

Residents living in Wharton County or Needville ISD pay taxes to the college.  As a result, a student living in Wharton County or Needville ISD pays in-district rates.  All other Texas residents pay out-of-district rates.

 return to the top

4. Financial Aid

 4.1 What are my chances of receiving financial aid?

The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The likelihood of receiving some form of financial assistance is probably better than most students and their families anticipate.

 4.2 What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

To receive maximum consideration for aid, the FAFSA must be processed by the Department of Education and received by Wharton County Junior College along with all other documents that might be needed by June 1st for the following academic year.

 4.3 Is there a maximum income level that will disqualify me from receiving financial aid?

Most people have the misconception that income is the only factor in determining need for financial aid assistance.  However, other variables are considered such as: family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, and various other allowances to the family’s income and assets.

 4.4 In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?

Yes. In order to receive consideration for eligible programs you must file Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.  File the FAFSA as close to January as possible.  For speedy processing you can apply over the Internet at: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov instead of using the paper form.

 4.5 If my parents are divorced, which parent do I put on the FAFSA?

You should provide information from the parent that provided you with the most support in the past year.  If the parent who provided you with the most support has remarried, your step-parent’s information must also be provided on the FAFSA.

 4.6 Will the financial aid transfer from one school to another?

No. Financial aid does not transfer from school to school.  Students planning to transfer to another school should contact the Financial Aid Office at both schools to find out what is required.

 4.7 What is verification?  And why was I chosen?

Verification is a process by which the college reviews the student and parental information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Students are selected for verification randomly by the federal processor.  Selection for verification does not imply that you have made an error or made false statements.  If you are selected for verification you will be notified.

 4.8 For financial aid purposes, how do I determine whether I am an independent or dependent student?

To be considered an independent student for financial aid purposes, you must be able to answer “yes” to one of the following questions.  If you cannot answer “yes” to one of the following questions, you are considered a dependent student.

  • Were you born before January 1, 1994?
  • At the beginning of the 2018-19 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MS, MD, JD, PhD, EdD or graduate certificate, etc.)?
  • As of today, are you married? (Answer “yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)
  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2014?
  • Are (a) both of your parents deceased, or (b) are you (or were you until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

 4.9 Are there other forms that I can fill out in order to be considered for other grants?  The FAFSA is required to be considered for all grant programs available through processing by the financial aid department.  We also require the Student Data Form from all students who wish to be considered for aid.  You may print the form by choosing the Forms link on the WCJC website, or you may pick one up from the financial aid office.

 4.10 Why can’t I apply for financial aid without using my parent’s information on the FAFSA form?

When you apply for federal student aid, there are certain questions you answer that will determine whether you are considered dependent on your parents or independent.  If you are considered dependent, you must report your parent’s income and assets as well as your own.  If you think you have unusual circumstances that would make you independent, talk to your Financial Aid Director.

 4.11 How do I know when and how much I have been awarded?

Notification of all eligible programs will be provided to you in the form of an award letter listing the types of aid you can expect to receive for the school year.  You may also view your awards by accessing the WCJC website and click on on-line services.

 4.12 What happens if I drop a class?

If you drop a class prior to the 12th class day, you may be responsible for repayment of the difference between the amount of money you received and the amount specified for the new enrollment status.   You must also make sure you remain in compliance with out Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.

 4.13 What if I withdraw from all classes?

If you withdraw completely or drop below ½ time status, you may be responsible for repaying money received from financial assistance.  You will be academically ineligible for financial aid.   If you have a student loan, your grace period will begin, and if you fail to enroll within 6 months, the repayment will begin on your student loans.

 4.14 Why is the maximum amount of loan money limited?

Students applying for the Federal Stafford Loan are subject to annual and aggregate loan limits that are based on the academic level, dependency status, and length of academic program.  The Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) presets the loan limits.  WCJC has no control over the funding amount.

 4.15 Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for Financial Aid?

No.  You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1.  To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the college.

 return to the top

5. Students with Disabilities

 5.1 What kind of services does WCJC provide for students with disabilities'?

With proper documentation of the disability WCJC can offer the following accommodations: registration assistance, extended test time, distraction free testing, taped text, interpreters, note-taking help, and others specific to the disability.

 5.2 What documentation is needed to obtain accommodations?

Documentation should be current within the last three years and from a professional: a medical doctor for a physical or health disability, a school diagnostician for learning disabilities, etc.

 5.3 I was exempt from TAKS and/or STAAR in public school because of my disability. Do I have to take TSIA to get into college?

Yes. Everyone has to take an entrance test for college. Accommodations are available for this testing.

 5.4 Whom do I contact to find out about accommodations for my disability?

The Coordinator of Disability Services for WCJC can be reached at the following number. 1-800-561-9252 ext. 6384, or you may consult any counselor on the campus you attend and they will assist you in contacting the Coordinator of Disability Services. 

 return to the top

6. Housing

 6.1 What are the dorm fees?

A dorm room is $650 per semester for Brooking Hall, and $750 per semester for  Mullins Hall and Frankie Hall.  The board (meal) plan is $1350 per semester.   All dormitory students are required to take the board plan.

 6.2 When are the dorm fees due?

Room charges and the first board plan payment are due and payable at the time of registration and must be paid before moving into the dorm.

 6.3 Is there an installment plan for the board?

Yes, the board may be paid in three payments:

  • 50% to be paid before move in (dorm room & first board payment)
  • 25% due Oct. 1 (fall) or Feb. 1 (spring)
  • 25% due Nov. 1 (fall) or Mar. 1 (spring)

Students who are on the installment plan are charged $35.00.

 6.4 What is included in the meal plan??

Three meals are served Monday through Friday, two meals on Saturday, and one meal on Sunday, except for holidays.

 6.5 How do I apply for a dorm room?

A dorm application is available online, in the college catalog, or from the Student Services Office at the Wharton Campus (979-532-6388). A $200 deposit is required to reserve a room and to cover possible property damages. All residence hall students will have to pay $15.00 for a criminal background check, too. 

 6.6 What if I wish to cancel my dorm reservation??

Students may request a refund of their room deposits and/or pre-paid room rent if they decide not to attend Wharton County Junior College.   To cancel the residence hall reservation and contract, the student must submit a request in writing to the Office of Student Services 15 calendar days before the first day of classes.  Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the deposit.

 6.7 Can I request a roommate?

Dormitory room assignments are made according to the date the deposit is received. All efforts are made to accommodate student requests for dorm and/or roommate preference.

 6.8 Can I stay in the dorm over the holidays?

The residence halls and cafeteria will be closed during official college holidays as specified in the College Class Schedule. During these holidays, students must make other arrangements for housing and meals.

 return to the top

7. Parking

 7.1 Where do I get a parking permit?

Parking permits are available during registration at each campus. If you did not get a permit at the time of registration, you may pick up a permit at the Pioneer Student Center on the main campus, or at the Business Office at the Richmond Campus. You must have a parking permit no later than the end of the first week of classes.

Warnings will be given for violations of parking regulations only during the first week of classes.

 7.2 What information do I need to get a permit?

A student’s name and social security number or ID number, as well as the year, make, model, color and license plate number of the vehicle are required to get a parking permit.

 7.3 Where do I display the permit?

The parking permit must be displayed on the back windshield of vehicle.  No exceptions.

 7.4 What if I drive a different car than the one I registered?

The permit is designed so that it may be removed from one vehicle and attached to a different vehicle easily. The permit is issued to a WCJC student, not to a vehicle, so no matter which vehicle a student drives, the WCJC parking permit must be displayed from the rearview mirror.

 7.5 Where may I park on campus?

Students may park only between the white lines at each campus. Parking and traffic regulations are set forth in detail in the Student Handbook.

 7.6 Is there a fine for parking tickets?

Yes, each parking citation is $25.00. Fines should be paid at the Business Office on the campus where the citation was issued, or mailed to the address on the citation. Holds will be placed on the records of students with parking fines.

 7.7 Can I appeal a parking citation?

Yes. Students may pick up a copy of College Regulation 325 and an appeal form from the Office of Student Services at the Wharton campus,or from the receptionist at the Richmond Campus. Appeals are made through the Summary Appeals Court. The decision of the Summary Appeals Court is final. Note: Failure to display a parking permit will not constitute a reason for dismissal.

 return to the top

8. Continuing Education

 8.1 What courses does Continuing Education offer?

Aerobics, Alcohol Awareness, Aviation Training, Business Management, Casino Games, Computer Aided Drafting, Computer Software Training, Creative Writing and Publishing, Defensive Driving, Emergency Medical Services, English as a Second Language, Home & Garden, Professional Development, Real Estate, Sign Language, Spanish, and Test Preparation

A complete CE schedule of course offerings can be viewed on the college website at www.wcjc.edu.

 8.2 Is there an application fee for Continuing Education courses?

There is no application fee for continuing education courses.

 8.3 Are there different fees for out of district students and in district students?

No – each class has a fee that the same for all students who enroll.

 8.4 Can students use web registration for CE Courses?

Yes, if you have completed the Continuing Ed admissions process in person or by fax before registering.

 8.5 Do Continuing Education courses show up on student’s transcripts?

Yes – all coursework completed at WCJC is displayed.

 8.6 If students would like to register in person, where can he/she do so?

A student can register in person for any CE course at any campus.

 8.7 Does Continuing Education offer certificates at the end of class?

Yes, Continuing Education awards Certificates of Participation for students who complete a course.

 8.8 Does Continuing Education offer “field specific” continuing education for those needing to acquire CEU’s?

Yes – consult the CE schedule on the college website at www.wcjc.edu or contact the Continuing Ed office at (979) 532-6324.

 8.9 When is payment due for Continuing Education courses?

All fees are due at the time of registration.

 return to the top

9. Distance Education

 9.1 What classes are offered from WCJC Distance Education?

 Online (Brightspace), and Interactive Television

 9.2 When taking an online course, how often will students report to actual classroom?

It varies, that is the decision of the instructors, the dates will be in the course syllabus

 9.3 How can Distance Education Instructors be contacted?

Call the Division Secretary of the department under which the course is taught.

 9.4 Is orientation mandatory for Distant education courses?

No. However, distance education students are strongly encouraged to visit the distance education website and take the orientation program. Distance Education has some unique features that students need to understand prior to enrolling.

 9.5 Are credits achieved through WCJC Distance Education transferable?

You should contact the college you plan to attend to verify that a specific course can be transferred.

 9.6 Can students obtain WCJC degrees solely through online courses through WCJC Distance Learning?

Yes, but a very limited number of programs are available in this format– consult the current catalog for degree plans.


If you have further questions, please fill out and submit this form online.

Last Updated