- Google Scholar -- Google's search engine for academic materia
- Refdesk.com -- Indexes and reviews quality, credible, and timely reference resources that are free.
Links by Subject
An art dictionary that provides "definitions for more than 3,300 terms used in discussing visual culture, along with thousands of supporting images, pronunciation notes, great quotations, and cross-references."
- Artcyclopedia:"TheFine Art Search Engine"
Provides links "to the online exhibits of thousands of artists, searchable by artist's name and browse able by movement, medium, subject of art, nationality of artist...Entries include links to museum sites, image archives, and other online resources..."
- Find Job and Career Information Resources and online tools to help workers in all stages of the job and career development provided by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
This online, searchable version of the OOH contains information on training, education, expected growth and conditions for a wide array of careers.
- The Vocational Information Center
This site contains a comprehensive listing of various technical and workforce careers, and links to many great resources.
- ACM (Association for Computing Machinery)
This site provides Digital Library indexes ACM journals with abstracts and career and curriculum information.
- Internet Society
A comprehensive site for all aspects of the Internet including technical, social, legal, statistical, historical, and policy based (particularly the about the Internet, Education, Public Policy, and Standards sections and subsets.)
This website provides links to local and regional socioeconomic data in the U.S.
- Resources for Economists on the Internet
Excellent source for economic data and sponsored by the American Economic Association.
- National Center for Education Statistics
Official website for the NCES, the "primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data that are related to education in the United States and other nations." Includes the "Nation's Report Card: an assessment of what America's students know and can do in various subject areas."
This site includes many preparation reviews covering a wide range of tests, including the NCLEX, the GED, the SAT, and more.
- Texas Education Agency
Clearinghouse of information related to education in Texas. Provides news, school laws and rules, school data, TEA publications. Also includes TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills), and additional info about curriculum, assessment, educational programs, accreditation, and grants.
- U.S. Department of Education
Provides information related to education news, research, funding opportunities, and statistics. Allows users to browse by topic or search by keyword. Also includes a directory of additional education resources on the web.
- Early Childhood .com Professional Resource For Teachers And Parents
- ERIC-Education Resources Information Center One of the longest-running services offered by the Department of Education, provides free access to the ERIC digital library, which offers an alphabetical list of more than 984 journals currently indexed in the digital library. Other materials-including research syntheses, conference papers, technical reports, and policy papers -are also indexed from more than 760 sources. More than 20 percent of the collection is full-text materials.
- National Conference of State Legislatures
Up-to-date information on who is doing what in any state.
- Findlaw: Cases and Codes
Includes the full text of the U.S. Code and the Code of Federal Regulations (1996-present). Provides U.S. Supreme Court decisions (1893-present) as well as decisions for the U.S. Courts of Appeals and U.S. Trial Courts. Also provides links to state codes, statutes, and regulations.
- Inside the Oval Office (Official White House website) Search press briefings, executive orders, radio addresses
and policy statements.
- Project Vote Smart Free background reports on members of Congress. Voting records, etc.
- Statistical Abstracts of the United States
- U.S. Department of State-Countries and Regions Provides comprehensive country information; includes Background Notes
- The World Fact Book The CIA provides national-level information on countries, territories, and dependencies.
- Federal Register
Official daily publication for Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as Executive Orders and other Presidential Documents. (Full-text)
- FedStats Access to official statistical information about federal agencies.
FirstGov.gov is the official gateway to all government information in the United States, from the federal government down to the state and local levels.
- Thomas: Legislative Information on the Internet Provides full text of bills, public laws, Senate and House committee reports, Roll Call votes, and the Congressional Record. Also contains some historical Congressional documents that can be searched by keyword.
- Texas Legislature Online
Official website for the Texas Legislature. Provides information about senators and representatives, current legislature, and legislative schedules. Use the "Who Represents Me?" feature to search for state representatives by street address, district, county, or city. Use the "Search Bills" feature to get the history, status, and full text of bills.
- Texas Online
Official state site with links to government branches, agencies, and offices and the information they can provide.
"An interactive web community and portal created by nurses for nurses as a source of nursing information...delivers electronic information and resources to nurses for education, research and practice and provides access to many of the most-respected sources of nursing content available today"
- PubMed Central (PMC)
"The U.S. National Library of Medicine's free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature. "
- Nursing Career Resource Guide
"Informative links on a career in nursing complied by Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences."
- American Memory from the Library of Congress
The Library of Congress digitalized collection of over 7 million historical items including original documents, photos, recorded sound, and motion pictures
- IPL Literary Criticism Collection
The IPL Literary Criticism Collection contains critical and biographical websites about authors and their works that can be browsed by author, by title, or by nationality and literary period.
- Literary Resources on the Net
This guide to literary criticism and author information is searchable by literary genre or by keyword. (Site provided by a Rutgers University English Professor.)
MathWorld is a comprehensive and interactive mathematics encyclopedia intended for students, educators, math enthusiasts, and researchers. Like the vibrant and constantly evolving discipline of mathematics, this site is continuously updated to include new material and incorporate new discoveries.
- The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
Each entry in this encyclopedia was written by an expert in the field.
- Philosophy Research Base
Another comprehensive directory to web resources related to philosophy.
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
A dynamic, web-based encyclopedia of philosophy. Each entry, which may be extensive, was written by an expert in the field. Entries usually include bibliographies.
- ALLPSYCH Online
A comprehensive site that includes a dictionary of psychology in its reference section, as well as some articles and textbooks.
- Encyclopedia of Psychology Original information generated by respected researchers and practitioners in various
fields of psychology.
- Social Psychology Network
A comprehensive site covering all aspects of psychology and social psychology.
Provides links to a wide variety of scientific resource materials, indexes, and statistics produced by U. S. departments, agencies, and related institutes and labs. Among the numerous links is information from the U.S. Geological Survey, NASA, Dept. of Agriculture, Dept. of Energy, Environmental Protection Agency, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NTIS (National Technical Information Service), and NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology).
- Services Selected Internet Resources
From the Library of Congress, this site compiles many valuable links to resources in biology, astronomy, physics, chemistry, and more.
- Solar Action Alliance
A group of environmentalists set up
this site to provide informative articles, location-specific solar infographics and
essential resources on renewable solar energy.
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
One of the best sources for criminal justice information and statistics on