This one year program, open to male and female applicants, is designed to award a
graduate a maximum of two certificates with the completion of three semesters. Students
who complete the Fall semester with a minimum GPA of 2.0 will be awarded an Entry
Level Residential Air Conditioning & Electrical Certificate. Students who complete
the Spring and Summer semesters with a GPA of 2.0 will be awarded an Apprentice Level
Air Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration & Electrical Certificate. With the completion
of both certificates, the graduate will have acquired the knowledge and skills in
the practical application of air-conditioning, heating, refrigeration, residential
wiring and commercial wiring. The program of study includes, but is not limited to,
methods of installing, maintaining, diagnosing, and repairing equipment. Computer
simulation programs are used to improve diagnostic skills. Specific competencies
taught include: gas brazing and soldering, electrical circuits and motor analysis,
system troubleshooting, conduit bending, wire size estimating, and circuit installations.
The program is offered at the Wharton campus only.
- Must meet all admission requirements to Wharton County Junior College
- Testing is NOT required for entrance into the program
- Books (Please see the Textbook List located with Program Supplies)
- Students will be required to purchase a tool kit for use in the program. (Please see the Tool List located with Program Supplies)
- Students will be required to wear a uniform shirt to all class meetings. Information for purchasing will be issued to the student when classes begin.