The Air Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration, and Electrical Technology program, open
to male and female applicants, is comprised of two credit certificates. The Entry
Level Residential Air Conditioning & Electrical Certificate is a one semester certificate
offered each fall semester. The Apprentice Level Air Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration
& Electrical Certificate is a two semester certificate offered each spring/summer.
Students may pursue either or both certificates. With the completion of both certificates,
the graduate will have acquired the knowledge and skills in the practical application
of air-conditioning, heating, refrigeration, residential wiring and commercial wiring.
The program of study includes, but is not limited to, methods of installing, maintaining,
diagnosing, and repairing equipment. Computer simulation programs are used to improve
diagnostic skills. Specific competencies taught include: gas brazing and soldering,
electrical circuits and motor analysis, system troubleshooting, conduit bending, wire
size estimating, and circuit installations.
To receive a certificate, an overall GPA of 2.0 must be maintained.
- Must meet all admission requirements to Wharton County Junior College
- College Entrance Testing (TSI) is NOT required for entrance into the program
- Books (Please see the Textbook List located with Program Supplies)
- Students will be required to purchase a tool kit for use in the program. (Please see the Tool List located with Program Supplies)
- Students will be required to wear a uniform shirt to all class meetings. (Information for purchasing will be provided to the student when classes begin.)