The Concert Band engages in the study of musical literature from the Renaissance to the present day through the performance of transcriptions and original band works. Emphasis is on preparing and performing concerts through out the semester in order to provide a cultural arts experience for a variety of audiences. The Band rehearses Monday thru Friday and earns 1 credit hour toward graduation.
The Jazz Band provides students an opportunity to perform music from within the jazz idiom. This includes: Swing, Latin, Funk, Rock, Fusion, Dixieland, and Modern jazz. Ample opportunity is also available for the learning and developing of improvisation skills. Jazz Band rehearses three times a week and earns 1 credit hour towards graduation.
Why I should participate in Band
Participating in Concert Band and/or Jazz Band is a great opportunity for you to share your musical talents with the college community. You will be developing and showcasing your skills along with other students who share your appreciation for the benefits we all receive from a cultural arts experience. Band offers a break from the regular classroom routine of books and papers for a chance to use and express your creative abilities. You will meet students from all over south Texas with whom you share a common interest. The opportunity to be part of a group that is respected by the community and college alike, because of what your talents bring to those here, makes band a very enjoyable experience.
Commonly asked questions:
Do I have to be a Music Major to receive a Band Scholarship?
- No, most of the band students receiving scholarships are not music majors.
What do I need to do to receive a Band Scholarship?
- Audition with director.
- Enroll for the ensembles.
- Be a fulltime student.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA.
When are Auditions?
- You may schedule an audition appointment with the director for a time that is convenient for you.
What is the audition process?
- The audition process for a Band Scholarship is very easy to do. It consists of performing a prepared selection of the student’s choice, and a short sight reading excerpt.
How do I contact the director?
- You may contact Joe Waldrop by phone or email.
- Call 979-532-6366
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org