Blackboard is a server based online Learning Management system (LMS) used by WCJC for course supplemental materials and distance learning courses. Blackboard allows students to access the WCJC virtual campus through the Internet.
After logging into the entry page, a list of courses, that you are registered for, are accessible from that page. When you click on the course you want to work in, it opens up the virtual classroom where you have access to the content required to study, instructions from your professor via a syllabus. It also allows access to the assignment and assessments you will be required to complete. Various tools are available to interface or communicate with the instructor, such as e-Mail and discussion boards.
This type of learning is called Asynchronous, in that you may access the class at a different time than the instructor. When the instructor receives your questions in email, or from a discussion post, the instructor will reply during their next access to the class.
Tutorials & Operations
The student will enter User ID number, including the @ symbol as their User Name. and password. For assistance in Logging into Blackboard, follow the steps outlined in the tutorial “How to Log in to Blackboard.”
Retrieving User ID
Log in to Online Services to find your User ID following the steps in the tutorial “How to find your User ID”.
If you would like to change your password, follow the steps in “How to Change Your Password in Blackboard”.
For additional assistance please complete the Request for IT Support form or call (979) 532-6568.
Features and Benefits
Some of the benefits to working students are:
- Student can participate in an online class asynchronously. This allows students to access the class, and complete their work and communicate with the professor in a time frame other than specific class times.
- Students are able to conduct testing online, and submit assignments without mailing their work, or delivering their work to the college.
- Students have access to the course material presented by the professor on a 24x7 basis.
- Exams or assessments are conducted in a manner where the assessment or exam will be available to the student for a couple of days. However, when the student begins the exam or assessment they will have a specific amount of time to complete them.
- Assignments can be completed electronically and saved on the student’s desktop, and when the student is ready to submit their assignment they will enter the virtual classroom, and attach the work to their assignment to be graded and returned by the professor.
- The student can communicate with the professor, and or other students through an email system within the virtual classroom. Discussion boards are also used for student communications regarding class topics, and or class work to be completed.
- If the professor wanted to they can open up a chat room, and make themselves available at a time, which would be convenient to the student, and tutorial support could be conducted through the online chat room. Another tool that can be useful to the students is “Who’s online”. If the professor chooses to activate this feature, then the students can converse with each other or the professor if they are logged into the LMS. The “Who’s online” feature works like an instant messaging service through the Blackboard LMS.