Student success is central to the mission of Wharton County Junior College (WCJC) and is given top priority in all assessment and planning activities, both at the instructional program level and institution wide. To achieve this, WCJC conducts on-going program evaluations and student learning assessments to ensure that students have the necessary skills to succeed in the classroom and to attain their academic goals regardless of the method of instructional delivery. WCJC strives to provide quality instructional and support services to enable a diverse student body to attain their goals and to meet the workforce needs of our community.
WCJC utilizes Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to annually assess progress in achieving the Strategic Plan goals of student success, curriculum and programs, facilities and operations, and enrollment. KPIs specifically addressing student achievement include fall-to-fall and fall-to-spring retention rates, transfer rates to universities, developmental students achieving college readiness, student engagement, licensure, and STEM enrollments and graduates.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
1. Retention Rates – The rates at which students return from fall to spring and return from fall to fall, by ethnicity and full-time status.
Target: 80% return rate
2. Transfer Rates – The rates at which students transfer to other colleges and universities.
Target: 25% or higher for students with 30 or more college-level credit hours
3. Success Milestones- The percent of each FTIC cohort achieving the following: TSI obligation met; success in first college-level math/English course; completion of 15 credits hours; completion of 30 credit hours; degree/certificate or transfer.Target: 60% or higher success rate
4. Student Engagement – The benchmark scores from the Community College Survey of Student Engagement (CCSSE) and the Survey of Entering Student Success (SENSE).
Target: 50 (national average) or higher on all benchmark scores
5. Financial Aid – Amount and number of awards made and numbers of students receiving awards.
Target: 15% annual increase in award amount and in the number of students receiving an award
6. Access – The number of courses, programs and student services available through technology-assisted distance education.
Target: 10% increase in online course offerings
7. Program Excellence – Program review, awards, recognitions, accreditation, licensure, and donations.
Target: Licensure rate of 85% or higher for each program with state or federal licensure exams
8. STEM Graduates – The rates at which students select majors in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM), complete programs and/or transfer to universities.
Target: 10% annual increase in majors
The Strategic Plan is available at http://www.wcjc.edu/About-Us/documents/StrategicPlan/StrategicPlan.pdf
Additional trend data collected and utilized by the College in the assessment of student achievement at both a program-level and institutional-level posted on the Institutional Research Intranet include the following:
- Course Completion Rates
- Student Success in Achieving College-Ready Status
- Distance Education Courses Success Rates Compared to Traditional Courses
- Student Persistence and Retention Rates
- Core Completion Rates
- Graduation Rates
- Transfer Reports
- State Licensure Exam Pass Rates
- Graduate Employment Reports
- General Education Reports
- Program Management Reports
The Institutional Research Reports are available by request to the WCJC President’s Office.
Data related to student success are provided to and reported within the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Data Resources. The reports provide for comparison of student achievement in relation to other institutions and statewide averages with regard to clearly identified accountability measures. Such comparative data are used to establish norm-based targets for improvement.
- Graduation and Persistence Rate
- 3, 4, and 6-Year Graduation Rates
- Degrees and Certificates Awarded
- Transfer Rates
- Developmental Education – College-Level Completion Rates
- Licensure Rates
- First Time in College (FTIC) Persistence Rates
- Degrees and Certificates Awarded in Closing the Gaps Critical Fields
- Total Nursing/Allied Health Degrees and Certificates Awarded
- Total Associate of Arts in Teaching Completers
- Percent Employed and/or Enrolled in Senior Institution Within One Year of Graduation
- Percent of Under-Prepared Students Who Become Prepared Within Two Years
- Percent of Under-Prepared Students Who Return the Following Fall
- Gainful Employment Report
- Annual Program Review
- Academic Success at Transfer Institutions for Former WCJC Students
Each of these reports is available on the Texas Higher Education Board website www.txhighereddata.org.
The College has readily available valid documentation to support WCJC statement of goals for student achievement and the success of students in achieving the goals.