The Presidential Scholars Program is the most prestigious program available to new freshman/ current students at Wharton County Junior College. The goal of this program is to provide students with an exceptional educational experience to enhance leadership and professional skills, and encourage civic engagement and cultural awareness.
Students who wish to explore possibilities beyond the limits of traditional classroom experiences are strongly encouraged to apply to the program. Learn about what scholars have done, see the WCJC Presidential Scholars Facebook page. Please complete the application below and submit to Catherine Shoppa by mail to 911 Boling Highway, Wharton, Texas 77488 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 1, 2017 will be the deadline for 2017-2018 applications.
- Create a permanent connection with outstanding students from all four campuses.
- Engage in challenging dialogue on global issues with local and national leaders.
- Gain greater insight into the nature of ongoing changes in business and government.
- Heighten awareness of their own values in the context of their leadership responsibilities.
- Learn to use new ideas + sources of knowledge to establish creative lifelong learning patterns.
Any current student may submit an application for consideration for the Presidential Scholars program, as long as they meet the following criteria:
- New freshman or current WCJC student
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
Benefits of the Program:
- Meet one-on-one with the college president to discuss academic plans and goals.
- Interact with and gain insight from leaders in the community.
- Become part of a community of other scholars with whom you can learn and socialize.
- Have opportunities to participate in annual educational trips.
- Serve as an ambassador of the college at events.
More Information Contact Catherine Shoppa at
979-532-6918 - Office